« Chopra Woo | Main | Someone gets it »

October 17, 2006

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

An Aussie Peace Commanding Presence here. I fell asleep on the sofa and just woke up feeling really groggy and grumpy, then read this post. Is this "a jump-start in manifesting the things we would like to cocreate in our own lives and on this planet"? I don't think so! Bloody wingnuts.

Damn! If only I had known sooner! I would have given my students exams today. I'm sure the student who got only 7% on her last exam would benefit from a ONE MILLIONFOLD increase in her thinking power.

Of course, I'm a little concerned about experiencing that same increase in my emotions. It's a time of bereavement in my department because of the recent loss of a colleague, so that higher dimensional ultraviolet emotion enhancer can't be good.

Or maybe it is good. I do seem to be chuckling for some reason all of a sudden. Thank you, higher dimensional beings!

I've been corresponding with an absolute whack job named Farley Malorrus (Astrology Explained). His site claims that the hours that we will be bathed in this "UV beam from a higher dimension of Universe-2" will be between 10:17AM Tuesday and 1:17AM Wednesday, and - get this - it doesn't matter what time zone you are in. Everyone on earth will experience this effect during those hours of their local time. How do these people get through their daily lives?

Sweet. I could use a tan. Heh.

I suspect that it's not a coincidence that the initials for Peace Commanding Presence are "PCP."

You know, I bet all the blacklight posters in the world look really nifty right now.

Hey it’s true! I went outside this morning and in the sky there was this really bright yellow light – so bright you couldn’t look straight at it. It was warm too. Praise Jesus!

I woke up feeling a bit of something coursing thru my body, but then I farted and all was well. I suppose I'm lucky it wasn't amplified ONE MILLIONFOLD!

Why aren't these people locked up somewhere?

Is it me or did it just get stupider in here?

This is particularly annoying to me. A lot of the verbiage in this despicable piece of woo comes from the Church Universal and Triumphant, which was started by my parents Mark and Elizabeth Prophet.

Other organizations such as the "I AM" movement also used the concept of "God-Government" and the various "masters" and color-coded rays.

I had the misfortune to be raised on a steady diet of this crap. Now--15 years after I got out of it--it's even more disconcerting to see it propagating on blogs and in email chain letters.

I don't know which I find more distasteful: fundamentalists with their fire and brimstone, or New Agers with their candyland, polka-dot fantasies.

I could literally claim anything at all, so long as it has a "high-minded" (preferably impossibly idealistic) sounding purpose. And people are ready to jump on the bandwagon in droves. I watched my parents do it.

Want change in the world? Be the change you desire--roll up your sleeves and make it happen! And accept that humans in power probably don't want to change much--or they already would have done it.

I'm glad your parents didn't infect you with the bug they caught, Black Sun!

I'm glad your parents didn't infect you with the bug they caught, Black Sun!

Well, it's chucking down with rain here in the sunny ol' UK. WHERE'S MY PULSE?!

Like, wow. No wonder the bad cold I've had all week suddenly got ONE MILLION times worse that day. Fortunately, I used my crystals and pyramid hat to get better. My qi ought to be aligned pretty soon now.

See my update to the main post today.

You sillys! of course it worked! Democrats won!!!!!!! But then I knew my Powerball ticket was the winner!? :-(

Numb Skulls, Skeptics, Fools, and non believers.....

It surprises the hell out of me how some of these "numb skulls," don't understand how Astrology works, and bash it. Have they ever heard of research and development, trial and error, or scientific application? On returning from my trip from the Northeast and Canada, I find myself exhausted, with a dead friend (My bird Harpy), feeling disillusioned, frustrated, got a headache I can't get rid of, and most of my friends tell me their life sucks this week. I've been tracking planetary movements since 1976, and that works out to be 30 years. I personally know many Capricorns (Typical Skeptics I might add, you have to have Capricorn or 10th house stuff to be skeptical usually), and I'm telling you these bone heads (Cap rules the bones) take a brick house to fall on them to embrace the truth of Astrological Magnetism. The fact is, now they not only all believe, but there are about 50 of them over the years who are all Astrologers or follow it faithfully. Whether it's a Lunar Return (Once a month when the Moon returns to it's birth point in your chart and sets the tone for your emotions for a month), a Solar Return (When the Sun returns to it's birth point on your birthday and sets your karma for the year), a Mars return (A relationship renewal that either ends or begins many relationships, that happens every 2 years), a Jupiter Return (That happens every 12 years, that sets the prosperity cycle in your life if any, and the independence factors), or a Saturn Return (that happens every 27 to 30 years, and that is what sets your Karmic factors; all of these planetary phenomena are succinct, exact, piercing, precise, and obvious. Only a fool or a numb skull would deny this unless they were on crack, Jack Daniels, or had a closed mind like some Presidents. I have found that the geometry of Astrology, when the MOVING or TRANSITORY PLANETS, set off, or geometrically aspect the planets in your chart, and the very molecules in your cells, that your life is succinctly affected in a specific way, once again alerting the individual to life changes and need for adjustments. I'm not sure how I would have made it this far without the magic of the Science of Astrology, and understanding it's magnetism, geometry, and synastry, as instead of seeing my life go through transitory stages, I may have taken most all of it personally and ended up Psychotic, Schizophrenic, Neurotic or Bi Polar, which by the way happens to literally millions of humans when they have no clue as to the cycles of their lives that we all go through triggered by the planetary movements. A long time ago a very wise Astrologer I went to, BLEW MY MIND by pinpointing my divorce, a bleeding ulcer, the karma with my father, a terrible flu I had in college that almost killed me, several key relationships, the karma with my mother, the karma with my sister, and the most obvious, the karma with my friends. Because I wasn't an idiot, I grasp the opportunity at this point to take Astrology classes back in 1976 and the rest is history.

You will still find these people who come up to you on the street, in public, at parties or wherever (like online) and try to bash Astrology, and you know what? I really don't have the time to argue with these people, nor do I even desire to try and convince them or prove Astrology works. I went through my own research and development with Astrology, had my life laid out specifically and clearly by Donna Roberts, and Carol Morgan (God rest her soul), and through scientific application of tracking the Astronomical movements of the planets, the Sun, and the Moon, I came to the un doubtable conclusion that Astrology not only works, but also is the most powerful tool I ever saw to explain molecular magnetism on this planet; and that was something I had to learn and master.

As far as I'm concerned, these chimpanzee, numb skull skeptic types are best left alone in their delirium, and allowed to find their own path of light and evolution, because it is not my mission in life to teach them. My purpose is to share with open minded, like minded individuals who are open to the possibilities of learning about Cosmic Magnetism (The Science of Astrology), and how it affects the ebb and flow of all of our lives, which can give you a serious edge, when you are trying to figure out what the F*CK is going on! I prefer to avoid surprises, shocks, and delusions and get down to the facts. That is the reason why I for one, knew back when I was a kid that Astrology was a power that I needed to embrace and take into my heart to guide me in my life, and also assist others who approached me. The skeptic has my sympathy, just like the individual who ignores information on how to avoid heart disease, cancer, diabetes or STD's by learning some of the basics, and instead casts their fate to the wind as far as smoking, drinking, eating terribly, lots of additives, preservatives, and chemicals that will lead them to their eventual doom. I for one, would rather have a happy, safe life, and a peaceful death, so I take precautions and try to understand the facts, including mastering the Science of AStrology. At this point you are saying, "Ok, Farley, so how do I do it? Where do I go? How do I learn Astrology?" Besides buying Derek and Julia Parkers books on the subject you can go to my web site, www.radioastrology.com and by donation, or for free, if you are broke or not inclined to 'tithe,' there is a wealth of easily understood audio topics on the subject, channeled by your truly that will take you down the path. Just check the topic list for 127 topics on Astrology and Metaphysics and indulge. If you are one of those rare individuals that is blessed by God who feels so inclined to 'tithe' to the server, you will have my blessings and thanks, as it does cost money to produce such information, so the generosity of those rare types is appreciated.

That's my take on Numb skulls, fools, and skeptic for today.

ONE FURTHER COMMENT. That article on my Journal is NOT MY ARTICLE, it was pasted by a reader who sent it to me. Not sure why people would 'quote me,' for something I didn't write, but only for some information I submitted as food for thought. Ever hear of that? Food for thought. I felt the article was a little far fetched and far out, but because it was so wild and crazy, I posted it. Then someone posted it here on Skeptico's website as my gospel. Hardly. I just pass on some of the wild stuff people send to me. To the person who called me a "whack Job," best look at yourself in the mirror before you go quoting others. Have a great day, and nice site, Skeptico. Farley

Cut from the massive block of text:

It surprises the hell out of me how some of these "numb skulls," don't understand how Astrology works, and bash it. Have they ever heard of research and development, trial and error, or scientific application?

Hey, Skeptico had a post about that long ago. No one ever replied telling us how the ancients determined the rules for Astrology. The only replies there were failed attempts to change the subject.

Therefore, it's not unreasonable to suspect the rules were all just made up without any basis whatsoever.

Besides, it's a moot point if Astrology doesn't work, and so far, it doesn't. You'll need more than anecdotes to prove otherwise. Try a double-blind test.

Oh, and just so you know: Magnetism is subject to that distance squared rule: It loses power quickly over distance. All the planetary stuff would be lost in all the local noise.

Farley Malorrus wrote:
Have they ever heard of research and development, trial and error, or scientific application?

Yes, that's why we know astrology, despite the prevelance of positive anecdotes, doesn't work. That, and astrology has nothing to do with any of the above, except maybe error.

Farley Malorrus wrote:
I personally know many Capricorns (Typical Skeptics I might add, you have to have Capricorn or 10th house stuff to be skeptical usually)

I am apparently a libran, does that match your statement?

Farley Malorrus wrote:
The fact is, now they not only all believe, but there are about 50 of them over the years who are all Astrologers or follow it faithfully.

How exactly does this prove astrology is valid? There are lots of christians who believe that god protects them from snakebites, and yet one died in the UK this week from a snakebite.

Farley Malorrus wrote:
all of these planetary phenomena are succinct, exact, piercing, precise, and obvious.

Right, and since you've studied them scientifically you could perhaps describe the mechanism by which they exert influence on us then, right? For instance, after 30 years study you must surely be able to explain how the sun physically sets my karma for the year. That'll do for a start.

Farley Malorrus wrote:
Only a fool or a numb skull would deny this unless they were on crack, Jack Daniels, or had a closed mind like some Presidents.

Right, so everyone who doesn't agree with you is one of the above. The word for this is arrogance, and you seem to have it aplenty judging from your post.

Farley Malorrus wrote:
I have found that the geometry of Astrology, when the MOVING or TRANSITORY PLANETS, set off, or geometrically aspect the planets in your chart, and the very molecules in your cells, that your life is succinctly affected in a specific way, once again alerting the individual to life changes and need for adjustments.

Excellent, again presumably you'll be able to explain the mechanisms behind this then?

Farley Malorrus wrote:
I may have taken most all of it personally and ended up Psychotic, Schizophrenic, Neurotic or Bi Polar, which by the way happens to literally millions of humans when they have no clue as to the cycles of their lives that we all go through triggered by the planetary movements.

A very bold claim, presumably you have the evidence to back it up, what with all your rigorous learning, training and scientific application. For instance, I suffer from none of those problems and I am fundamentally aware that planetary motion has absolutely no guiding effect on any cycles in my life.

Farley Malorrus wrote:
A long time ago a very wise Astrologer I went to, BLEW MY MIND by pinpointing my divorce, a bleeding ulcer, the karma with my father, a terrible flu I had in college that almost killed me, several key relationships, the karma with my mother, the karma with my sister, and the most obvious, the karma with my friends.

Oh goody, ANOTHER SUBJECTIVE ANECDOTE. (See, if you write it in capitals it makes it true and especially shocking).

Farley Malorrus wrote:
Because I wasn't an idiot, I grasp the opportunity at this point to take Astrology classes back in 1976 and the rest is history.

Again with the arrogance. 'If you don't agree with me, you're an idiot.'

Farley Malorrus wrote:
I really don't have the time to argue with these people, nor do I even desire to try and convince them or prove Astrology works.

Obviously.

I mean, the fact that you've come to a website that promotes skepticism, critical thinking and science in order to argue that astrology works, is a science, and you can find out all about it on your website (for a small fee if you so desire obviously) conclusively proves you don't have the time to talk to or deal with skeptics.

In fact, since you didn't have time to come and write this post here, then who did it for you? Since you don't have time. And don't want to. And aren't interested.

Farley Malorrus wrote:
and through scientific application of tracking the Astronomical movements of the planets, the Sun, and the Moon, I came to the un doubtable conclusion that Astrology not only works, but also is the most powerful tool I ever saw to explain molecular magnetism on this planet; and that was something I had to learn and master.

Now if only you had the desire and time to explain to us the science behind this and molecular magnetism, we could all become believers too. You can explain the science here, right?

Farley Malorrus wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, these chimpanzee, numb skull skeptic types are best left alone in their delirium, and allowed to find their own path of light and evolution, because it is not my mission in life to teach them.

We know. That's why you came here to promote your views and website after all; because you don't want to come here and promote your views and website, and you wanted to leave us alone in our delirium. That's why we know you didn't write this and someone else did, right?

I mean, why would someone claim they didn't want to talk to skeptics and wanted to leave them alone in their delirium, and then write a lengthy and involved post on a skeptical blog promoting the thing they didn't have time to promote, and include a link to their website in order to get people to try and exit their delirium. That would just make that someone look desparately silly wouldn't it?

Farley Malorrus wrote:
My purpose is to share with open minded, like minded individuals who are open to the possibilities of learning about Cosmic Magnetism

Oh, you have a purpose. Which you served by posting on a website for people that share none of your believes. We're open minded enough to accept astrology works but we have seen no clear evidence of this, are you open minded enough to accept that astrology does not work?

I for one, would rather have a happy, safe life, and a peaceful death, so I take precautions and try to understand the facts, including mastering the Science of physical reality.

Farley Malorrus wrote:
At this point you are saying, "Ok, Farley, so how do I do it? Where do I go? How do I learn Astrology?"

Actually, at this point I am thinking 'How the hell do people this gullible and stupid get to survive to adulthood without serious injury, and do they reproduce because that's gotta hurt the gene pool.'

Farley Malorrus wrote:
Besides buying Derek and Julia Parkers books on the subject you can go to my web site, www.radioastrology.com and by donation, or for free, if you are broke or not inclined to 'tithe,' there is a wealth of easily understood audio topics on the subject, channeled by your truly that will take you down the path.

Gee, for someone who doesn't want to convince, you sure jumped in quickly with the 'For a small price you can find out everything you need to convince yourself.'

Farley Malorrus wrote:
If you are one of those rare individuals that is blessed by God who feels so inclined to 'tithe' to the server

Jeez, lay it on thick why don't you. I think I will need a wash after reading this sort of slime.

Farley Malorrus wrote:
That article on my Journal is NOT MY ARTICLE, it was pasted by a reader who sent it to me. Not sure why people would 'quote me,' for something I didn't write, but only for some information I submitted as food for thought.

Kind of full of yourself aren't you? I just re-read the post and didn't see anywhere that said it was you that wrote that, the world doesn't revolve around you big guy, but you already knew that of course. Yet, someone who had also written something so exceedingly dumb would soon retract it when people noticed. 'It's not my article, I was just holding it for someone else.'

Farley Malorrus wrote:
Ever hear of that? Food for thought.

Independent rational thought, ever hear of that?

Farley Malorrus wrote:
To the person who called me a "whack Job," best look at yourself in the mirror before you go quoting others.

Oh, touche. You go girl.

Now here is just a little test to evaluate how effective your astrology is.

My birth date is 01 October 1976. Now, tell me what sort of year I have had this year, just as if you were telling me what sort of year I was going to have on 1st January 2006.

Well, Jimmy's written a good response. (Thanks for sifting through all that crud.)

So, doggerel I noticed, or seemed implied:

#4: "Closed-minded"

#8: "I don't have to prove anything to you!"

#12: "Science doesn't know everything!"

#13: "People have believed this for thousands of years!"

#18: "I know what I saw!"

#19: "Read my book!"

#28: "They laughed at [real scientist], too!"

#30: "You need to think outside of the box!"

#38: "You're just mean!"

#39: "I can see it, why can't you?"

#40: "I was a skeptic, once"

#43: "You're just afraid of the truth!"

Wow. I know alot of really nice woosters. And Farley McTypes A lot (the return key is your friend) is defintiely not one of them.

Also, I've had my entire chart (angles and the like) done several times by several astrologers. While I remain a statistical anomaly in that much of the personality trait prediction (though not all) is actually accurate for me, the event prediction has always been dead wrong.

And forwahtever it's worth I don't have a single bit of Capricorn in my chart, whereas Mr. Mouse is a triple threat Capricorn who believes in all kinds of woo. Guess you were off on that one as well.

Jerk.

Oh goody, an e-mail from Farley (recieved on the 12th, but for some reason it was relegated to my junk mail folder. Coincidence, you be the judge?) who for some reason was too afraid to post a response here. Since he chooses to respond in such a childish manner I don't feel bad about posting something he obviously hoped would stay private:

A guy who has nothing better than to spend all day long bashing me, does not need an Astrology Reading.
LOL..

You tell me what you need...maybe a Girl?
Get a life guy, really, get out and smell the flowers.

What's the matter Farley, scared what might come up? Come on, after 30 years of scientific study surely you can manage one reading that would shut us skeptics up forever?

Unlike you though Farley, lengthy posts don't take me all day to write. I spent perhaps an hour on that response. What makes you so self important you think I'd spend all day thinking about you?

And how grown up of you. Don't answer the questions, don't respond intelligently, just take the Beavis and Butthead route.

"Yeah, well you need a girlfriend.'

I'm not sure my wife would appreciate this however, but I'll suggest it, she is pretty easy going after all.

And someone who spends 30 years studying astrology tells me to get a life. Oh the irony.

So come on Farley, where's the reading? What are you afraid of if you know it works?

If you don't want to give the reading, just answer the simple questions:

I am apparently a libran, does that match your statement thatskeptics need to be capricorn or tenth house?

How does the fact that you have met people who take up astrology prove its valid?

Since you've studied the phenomenon you describe scientifically you could perhaps describe the mechanism by which they exert influence on us then, right?

Presumably you have the evidence to back up your claim that millions of people who don't study astrology have mental problems as a result of this?

Now if only you had the desire and time to explain to us the science behind this and molecular magnetism, we could all become believers too. You can explain the science here, right?

Nice post, Jimmy, after those ad-hom non-sequiturs from Farley.

How does the fact that you have met people who take up astrology prove its valid?

I've met lots of skeptics, so that proves we're right!

Nice post, Jimmy, after those ad-hom non-sequiturs from Farley.

How does the fact that you have met people who take up astrology prove its valid?

I've met lots of skeptics, so that proves we're right!

Now isn't that weird? Two double-posts in a row, and I'm sure I only hit Post once!

It must be quantum.

Oh Farley you are a peach.

Having the day off I decided, out of boredom, to check out your website. What a goldmine, and not just astrology!

From the Astrology Explained page

Libra
Gets along with other Air Signs, Gemini and Aquarius. Does not get along with other Cardinal Signs, Capricorn and Cancer. Is opposite Aries, so it could go either way. Libra is the justice part of the zodiac, and rules law, love, partnership, relationship, marriage, counseling, balance, harmony, and peace. They are the most charming and sometimes beautiful of the 12 signs, but may be the most deceptive, manipulative and liars of the group also. An honest Libra is hard to find, but they are special. Libra rules the kidneys, and urinary tract, so plenty of water is important. Romantically they may be the best in all areas, if they are being honest with you and giving you a good shot. Making love to a Libra can be like a dream, if it lasts. Many attorneys, judges, politicians, and con artists have Libra in their horoscopes, along with salesmen, car salesmen, and infomercial actors.

The fact that I don't get along with my wife (Cancer) is news to both of us. Unfortunately charming and beautiful are not descriptions of me that anyone would recognise, but deceptive, manipulative and a liar don't even come close to describing me either. Still, it's nice to be called special, thanks. Could you perhaps tell me for which signs water isn't important, I must have missed that? And I am not involved in any of those careers, but I'm not vain enough to say anything about my own sexual prowess, so thanks for the vote of confidence.

So let's recap - I don't get along with people I do get along with. I may be a liar, but also honest. I need water. I'm good in bed (provided I am being honest). And I am in the wrong line of work for my star sign.

There you go, conclusive proof astrology works, how could we ever doubt?

But wait, it gets better!

From A Story of Rommel and World War II
To me, as an Astrologer, it just proves that you cannot use a sacred science from ancient knowledge like Astrology to win a war.

Ok. Oh, but hang on in the same paragraph you say:

The fact that Winston Churchill and FDR gave audience to allied Astrologers in planning some of their tactics is also proof that such a sacred and ancient knowledge in the successful invasion of Europe on June 6, 1944.

Do you even think before you type?

Just to recap, astrology can't be used to win a war, except when it is used to win a war (but only if used by the goodies).

But, lets take a look at the man you admire so much shall we?

From the Wikipedia entry on Rommel
Tempering this favourable view of Rommel are the facts that he did loyally serve Hitler and the Nazi government if not throughout his life at least until 1944, that he never publicly disagreed with any Nazi actions or goals during his lifetime, and several examples of racially prejudiced policies enacted under his command. Some examples of Rommel’s racial attitude are his 1942 order that non-white Allied prisoners of war in Axis captivity be fed only 800 calories a day, while white prisoners would be fed 1,200 calories and his killing of unarmed black prisoners of war in 1940 in order to film propaganda newsreel footage recreating his victories in France. When his illegitimate daughter Gertrude asked his permission to marry her Italian boyfriend, he admonished her to make sure he was Aryan (that is non-Jewish under the Nuremberg Laws)

A man to be much admired it seems.
You did know this, right? How did you describe him again? Oh that's right Erwin Rommel was a compassionate Scorpio

And you've really prayed for World Peace since you were 2? Wow. At 2 you understood the concepts of world, conflict, peace and prayer. Very impressive.

I feel people with Libra Rising, or Mars in Libra are people who would try to obtain Harmony and Peace any way they can through negotiation, hence the reason why Rommel pleaded with Hitler throughout the war to change his tactics or face defeat.

Rommel didn't want peace or negotiation, he wanted the Germans to win the war (hence the change tactics or face defeat). You do understand what it would have meant if the Germans had won don't you? Besides all this, doesn't great war leader, member of the Prussian military aristocracy and general seem a poor choice of career for someone who loves peace and negotiation? Maybe it's just me.

(One wonders if HitlersAstrologers ever warned him of such a plot, because it had to be in his chart)(I doubt it or the meeting would have never happened)

I thought astrology didn't work for evil people? Since killing Hitler was a good thing, it wouldn't have been in the charts, would it?

What followed was the biggest execution of officers from any army in the history of the World by it's nations leader, as 100's of Field Marshals, Generals, Colonels, Majors, Captains, and Lieutenants, including 100's of German and Prussian citizens were captured and killed

Really?

Ever heard of Stalin's purge of the Red Army? No? Well lets fill you in:

The purge of the army removed three of five marshals (then equivalent to 6-star generals), 13 of 15 army commanders (then equivalent to 4- and 5-star generals), eight of nine admirals (the purge fell heavily on the Navy, who were suspected of exploiting their opportunities for foreign contacts), 50 of 57 army corps commanders, 154 out of 186 division commanders, 16 of 16 army commissars, and 25 of 28 army corps commissars.

And the Stauffenberg plot?

Eventually some 5,000 people were arrested and about 200 were executed – not all of them connected with the July 20 plot, since the Gestapo used the occasion to settle scores with many other people suspected of opposition sympathies.

So less than the Red Army purge, and the number included people not connected with the plot anyway. Seems somewhat at odds with your claim. I thought you've studied Rommel? Maybe you should also look into the Iranian purge of its armed forces in the 1980s.

Erwin Rommel the Commander of the European defense, and the Afrika Korps, General George Pattons rival

Patton's rival? That's interesting, since they never faced each other on the battlefield as opposing commanders. Patton took command of II Corps on March 6, 1943, Rommel left North Africa on 9 March, 1943 for Germany, Greece, and eventually France.

Adolph Hitler had to be the dumbest leader in the history of the World and the only person that Astrology worked against, not in favor of.

Didn't you just say that the assassination attempt must have been in his charts, but his astrologers didn't tell him? I'd say having astrology warn you of an assassination attempt would be a good thing.

(Rommel was Hitler's best General and put up his only defense, when he was gone, there was NO DEFENSE)

Really, ever hear of the Battle of the Bulge? Operation Market Garden (and the resistance to it)? Defence of the Rhine? The bleeding of the Western Wehrmacht to bolster the eastern front to allow the western Allies to enter Berlin before the Red Army? The Battle of Berlin? The fact that the war went on for another year after Rommel died?

That's enough for now. I guess you might as well claim you didn't write any of that nonsense as well though.

Bravo, Jimmy. I can just about handle nonsense, but when people

a) Wilfully misinterpret history to glorify or dimiss triumphantly evil bastards

or

b) Blather away about events and people they know nothing about,

I tend to see red.

Winston Churchill is an absolute hero to me, and I've read about as much about him as anyone I know. If that guy (a Nobel prize-winning non-fiction author, amongst other things) was a star-struck, lip-blubbering wooster, I'll eat the proverbial.

On the other hand, I've read a lot about Hitler, too, and he wouldn't even get out of bed unless the celestial signs were right.

Latest e-mail from Farley was simply titled 'Sorry I don't read the blog' in response to my having told him I had replied here.

For someone who posted here and read my first response to him, he sure doesn't read here.

jeesh! Can't you guys live and let live? I really doubt that this astrology thing effects your lives if you don't believe it! If you don't like it,don't read it! Skeptics wouldn't waste their time!

New Doggerel #45 already up: "Why are you so obsessed?"

The quick and dirty: Lies and woo hurt people. We want it to stop.

Joy

The problem is, whether we believe something works or not it does affect our lives.

Try looking up the number of world leaders who have admitted using astrology or some other nonsense like religion to make decisions (Hitler, Reagan, Bush x2). Farley combines both on his website, and posts the odd bit of factually incorrect history as well (which concerns me since I hold a degree in history and read and study it avidly). Therefore, Farley is a prime subject for skeptics. He is exactly the sort of person skeptics should be interested in since he also claims he has studied astrology for 30 years and has scientific proof it works. If he isn't someone of interest to skeptics, then who is?

Of course you also throw in some well known woo response (as pointed out by Bronze Dog) and add in the tired old 'Real skeptics wouldn't do what you're doing so you're not real skeptics.' You could at least put some effort into your retorts.

Skeptics wouldn't waste their time!

I must not be a true Scotsman.

Woo affects people we love. You believe astrology works even though:

1. There is no reference to any research performed to see where this information came from (ie, how do you know if Saturn is in the second house and I'm a Virgo that I like to pee sitting down? Where are the tomes of research?).

2. Not only are there no double-blind studies showing it works, there are respected studies showing it does not work. And please spare the anecdotes, I wouldn't even rely on myself since even skeptics aren't immune to confirmation bias, wishful thinking etc. - that's why we rely on DB studies.

This means you are willing to believe anything since the evidence for astrology is right up there with the evidence for homeopathy, psychic powers, carrot and coffee enemas and invisible gnomes that live in your ass.

This means that you might take Sylvia "You Need More Billirubin" Browne's opinion over a trained medical professional. You may also rely on prayer to save a cancer-ridden family member, denying them modern medicine.

The point is, if you buy one sack of bullshit for no reason, what's to stop you from buying every bag of bullshit for no reason?

I can no longer decide whether Farley is actually just a great big joke we've all fallen for, having read the latest entry from here:

https://journals.aol.com/bestactor/astrology-on-radio-on-the-net/

In particular I found this (at face value) typo worth a chuckle, bear in mind this post was written on Tuesday 21st about the US economy collapsing in 2007:

Also, I discussed this aspect with a very wise spiritualist tonight, a friend I've known since the 60's and she has been waiting for this to happen. She asked me, "Farley, when do you see the U.S. Economy going to Hell, if it happens?" My answer was, "If it happens, and I pray it doesn't, the peak is on January 6, 2006, to January 25, 2006." Let's hope it doesn't happen.

One typo for a year when predicting events by date I could understand as a mistake. Two however looks like cut and paste from a previous old entry being reused, or alternatively outright incompetence.

Ordinarily I think it's bad form to make fun of typos, but come on. The guy is claiming to be an expert on using astrology to predict events and can't even get the year right when writing it up, even when he gets it 'right' earlier in the same entry!

It has to be a big joke, and if you follow the link above and waste some time reading it maybe you'll come to the same conclusion. For instance, note the contradiction from the last two posts made, the economy is going to collapse in January 2007, but in the post below that he is writing about hoping things improve in the new year. Doesn't he know?

However, this latest entry provides a big opportunity to test the efficacy of Farley's astrology, since it makes very concrete claims for very specific dates (although there is the usual woo get out of 'It could happen but might not.') So watch this space!

i have just seen the 2nd part of WhatTheBleep (WTB:Down the rabbit hole[2oo6]) and i was browsing for reviews.. i must tell you you did not get concept of the series almost at all.. and i only read the 1st paragraph.. it's an educational documentary more than a scientifical one... but perhaps i'm wrong and you were trying to make some sort of piece by piece explainations i didn't read it all..

The big problem is that for something to be educational, it has to be accurate.

Considering that the original quote mined a scientist who was entirely unsympathetic to efforts to link consciousness with QM to make him look like a supporter, I doubt part 2 would be any better.

The comments to this entry are closed.

Search site